Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Turning over a new Leaf


On the first day of school students see their names written on a leaf that is hanging from a tree in our reading center. The quote, “Turning over a new leaf” is written on the board and we brainstorm ideas as to what it means. Once the children have an understanding of the quote, they then write me a letter that begins, “This year I am turning over a new leaf. Last year I…..and this year I want to….” Many students wrote about grades, and others wrote about wanting to change their behavior. Students feel better after we have discussed that they are indeed turning over a new leaf because they are starting the new year with a clean slate! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sit or Stand Getting to Know You

In past years, I’ve had kids walk around the room and do surveys at the beginning of the year to get to know each other and start building a...